Sunday, August 2, 2009

Another thesis painting



I am finished getting my MFA. The last two weeks of classes ended July 24. The first week was a fantastic illustration class with C.F. Payne and Gary Kelley. I already knew they were talented illustrators but I discovered they are also gifted teachers. The second week was a self promotion class with Danny Pelavin and Chris Spollen who are two of the funniest and most talented people I've ever met. Their class was full of laughs and tons of information. We each designed self promotion pieces specific to our work.

I have mixed feelings about finishing the program. On one hand I feel a tremendous sense of relief. No more projects or papers. No more financial strain of trying to pay tuition and pay my everyday bills. No more worrying that I might not finish all my paintings on time for the final show. On the other hand, I'm going to miss the program and more specifically the people in it. My classmates are a great bunch of illustrators and although I'm sure we will stay in touch and see each other from time to time, it won't be as often as it's been in the last two years. I'll miss things like all my classmates going to the Leyendecker exhibit in California and then taking over the back room of a nice little restaurant.

I'll miss the excitement of crits, finally seeing what everyone has done. Every time, I was blown away by the talent and skill on display. It was intimidating at times, knowing I had to put my paintings next to such amazing illustrations, but it was also very motivating.

And I'll miss my illustration mom and dad, Carol and Murray Tinkelman whose kindness and generosity have helped make the last years two of the best of my professional life.


No comments: